Friday, October 13, 2006

hmmphh!!!

D's computer has been infested by viruses.Actually,I can comfortable call it MY computer because it has sooo much of my gunk on it that it technically is mine!Anyways...back to the virus infestation....It all started the day before yesterday when there was a sudden crazy onslaught of absolutely ridiculous pop-ups from God knows where. Turned out the Norton antivirus had expired and I hadn't paid any heed to the renewal recommendations that had been popping up for a few days now. So, I got the subscription renewed for sixty bucks only to realise that the damn viruses had taken over complete control of the computer...such that I couldn't even install the new Norton antivirus.I called the customer support services who told em that I'd have to pay seventy bucks for and their analysts to help me. I got the antivirus thing up and running finally.However,that was surely not the end of it. The pop-ups still kept showing up everytime I opened my internet browser. I called the customer support again yesterday morning and well....I spent almost the whole day trying to get it fixed....*sigh*...and its still no where close to being fixed. A hundred and thirty bucks and a day and half of being told to "hold on please" and "thankyou for your patience".....ITS STILL NOT FIXED!Heres what I think these antivirus software people do....they wait...wait for your subscription to expire and then send in these rapidly replicating viruses themselves to your computer.What do you do? Ofcourse you get scared and renew your subscription...but by then its too late.Then you call them to ask for help and surely they want you to "have your visa or master card ready to pay for the service".Alright...so you pay some more hoping that NOW they'll be able to fix it.Thats where you're mistaken....what starts now is a vicious cycle of them putting you on hold(for ages) and then getting you through to analyst upon analyst upon analyst till you yourself get sick of calling them and just let it be!Ok...I need to go now because the current "analyst" who had put me on hold has decided to come back to life.

p.s: In case someone's wondering how I am bloggin if my computer is messed up...I've borrowed my father's laptop just to whine here.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol they cant possibly be on hold monitoring thousands of computers at a time ready to send in the viruses as soon as the subscription expires but they do make most of the viruses themselves to keep in business.
and u actually pay for softwares! and you call yourself a pakistani!I dont know how much time u spent back home but it seems you didnt learn anything at all.If you dont know how to get pirated softwares then try one of these.

http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html
http://www.free-av.com/
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5

these are free.try avast,keep it updated and get a free version of adaware.set these both to do autoscans everyday and you should be fine.

11:22 AM  
Blogger Aya said...

rai: Thankyou...I feel really stupid now!...hehe...I am a dunce when it comes to computers...thanks for the links though...shall keep them handy although my "bought" subscription is good for a year.Oh and I have lived almost all my life in Pakistan...hehe..and yep...from the looks of it I didn't learn anything at all! :D

7:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If all else fails spend some money and get panda platinum antivirus. Panda by far is the best. My experience with norton, Macafee and panda tells me that both are inferior to panda in providing security. both slow down the computer considerably and both are obnoxious.
Panda on the other hand is easy to use simple interface. has a built in firewall at no extra cost and updates daily and has the best virus protection. it detects even those that norton misses.
I have been using pirated panda and believe me i am in comfort.
So spend the money wisely lady.haha!

12:42 PM  
Blogger Aya said...

moiz: Go on...make me feel even worse..*sniff*....but you're right...norton does slow the computer down....and although those popups have decreased in frequency but they are still showing up.I got a call from the norton people...apparently they were following up on the problem...I told them I was too tired to deal with it now but there was no follow up cos the issue had not been resolved in the first place!...ok..I rant again!The next time no such money shall be spent...I am getting a hold of those pirated things somehow.Thanks for the low down though.

3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home