Sunday, August 20, 2006

Updates

Its been a while since my last post. I took my clinical skills(CS) exam in Atlanta the day before yesterday. In all there were twelve standardized patients to be seen with each encounter lasting 15 minutes…..where you had to take the history and do a quick physical exam and then counsel the patient. You are then required to write a patient note with the pertinent details, the possible diagnoses and workup for each in 10 minutes. I messed up on my first encounter where I ran out of time! After that I made it a point to be quick in my questioning. There are sooo many things that I can recall now that I missed but hopefully there is allowance for those given the time constraints. The good thing is that this one is a pass/fail exam and so the stress of scoring high does not come into play. I won’t have the results for this exam till October(stress…more stress!!)….which means I will be applying for residency with just my step 1 and step 2 CK scores in hand. I got back from Atlanta yesterday to find my CK score (the exam I whined about till the end of July remember?) awaiting me. I scored a 91/224 which to be honest is a disappointment because I was gunning for a higher score on this as the practice exams I took had predicted considerably higher scores too. I really don’t mean to sound like an ingrate but this was one of those very rare occasions in life where I did let my hopes get a little high…..even after having found the exam hard. That said….I am not depressed and am not hanging on to it either. I am really  thankful to God for having brought me this far and its time to move on. It’s been hard having to study day in and day out for more than a year and a half and I am glad it has finally drawn to an end. I must now complete my residency application. There is lots of work to be done in that department. I have yet to work on my personal statement and get a couple of letters of recommendation from back home. The problem here is that the professors at my medical college have delegated the non-enviable task of writing MY letters of recommendation to……ME! So, imagine my plight….how do I write about four such letters…make them sound different and then write my personal statement too making sure it doesn’t sound the same as those letters….did that make sense? As of now Aya is brain dead! I have not even an ounce of creativity left in me…what little I had went down the drain when I joined medical college!I will keep updating on this exciting aspect of my life…..meanwhile keep praying for me(especially my CS exam results….I cannot afford to fail that!) and those who did pray for me....I thankyou all!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for giving an update on your life. To me, it sounds really exciting because all what I do is...help around the house, hehe. I've been quite free and although I'm ejoying it, i'd love to trade checking patients with my 'work' any time!

91 sounds like an A, is it not? Insha'Allah will definately make dua for your exams, although I might not be able to remember the name. I pray that you becomes a great doctor who has a great blog! Insha'Allah.


Take care:)

12:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I pray that you becomes a great doctor who has a great blog! "

Its a typo but who doesnt want to sound like a FOB :P

12:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dont worry u ll do grt on this one as well.how long before u actually join a hospital now?

11:58 AM  
Blogger Aya said...

writer's creek:LOL!I pray that I becomes a great doctor too! ;)
Thankyou ever so much for all the prayers!

rai:I just need to pass this next one.re:the how long ques...ah well,I'll start applying in september... then there'd be interviews extending into january and I'll get to know if I've managed to "match" at a hospital by mid march next year.If all goes well..I'd start working by july '07.(are you sorry you asked me this question?...cos this was the condesed version of what lies ahead!)

1:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

no i hope u join a hospital soon really need a free doctor.i m spending the health insurance money on video games now

5:46 PM  
Blogger Nabeel said...

i just checked the dates to your previous post .. and yes it has been a while ..

5:47 PM  
Blogger Aya said...

rai:LOL!!...you've got yourself a deal there, provided I land a residency spot...bit of a gmable this...hehe...but you have my word...gotta pay you back for my almost daily dose of amusement, nai?

nabeel:yep...its been a while since I last blogged.

10:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home