Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Ever wonder how defence mechanisms come into play time and again....well,I have and it has always fascinated me.There is suppression,denial,projection,dissociation etc etc...all(apparent)unconscious props to reduce inner conflict.I was thinking the other day about how there are times when one just thinks...."what will be will be" or the entire kismet and karma rigamarole and of course (my favourite) God's will.It just occured to me that perhaps all the aforementioned were all defence mechanisms after all....not a happy thought this...because it made me realise that often I have resorted to the God's will stance without truly believing in it.Anyways,enough moroseness....current defence mechanism in play = compartmentalisation....putting all this in a seperate box and moving on.
I have my first interview scheduled for the 27th of November in Michigan.There is an informal dinner with the residents the night before....something to worry about a little because Aya's scoial skills may just have atrophied somewhat what with being the home bound creature that I have been of late.I had been erratcially scanning through potential interview questions, trying to brain storm answers and the sheer dumbness of some(ok most!)of the questions amazes me but oh well....lets see what comes of this.The only thing I am sure is good with all this is the suit that I got.I had initially just randomly picked one up because I got frustrated with having to shop(I hate shopping!) and in the days to follow I realised I didn't like it one bit.So, I returned it and found a much nicer one...alhamdulillah.Anyways,thats all the excitement(not!)that there is....you all pray(extra hard if you will) for me and I shall keep updating on how the interview trail treats me....hmm...how about I be a little optimistic here...make that... how I treat the interview trail? :)

p.s: Just realised...need to get shoes..ughh!

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

There once was a false maulvi who told his herd that if u say Bisimillah with absolute conviction that whatever u wanna do after that will werk, why, u'd even be able to walk on water.

One of the village people heard this and was convinced of course that whatever the maulvi sahib said HAD to be true. Thus, he recited Bismillah and was able to walk on the river that lay in his path between village and town. So he was delighted and began doing it every day.

One day, the maulvi had to go to town and he was abt to rent a boat to cross the river when the villager cried out, "Maulvi sahib! What are u doing? Just say bismillah and walk on the water!" And he showed to the maulvi how it cud be done.

When the Maulvi saw it, he was filled with amazement and doubts. He said Bismillah and tried doing it, but of course the doubts in his heart were too heavy fer the water...

When the villager saw that a great and pious man like the maulvi couldn't do it, he was filled with doubts himself. And instantly his feet sank into the water. He too had lost the gift.

Moral: We might think we are using defence mechanisms or that our faith is weak, but it's the act of doubting our own conviction that weakens us, not the weak faith itself. U be true, Aya...and ull be fine...

7:25 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Gud luck with the interviews, Aya. You're always in my prayers...

8:26 PM  
Blogger que sera sera said...

good luck!

11:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dont hv much experience of interviews but just b confident.dont get all girly giggly or too serious.just put a confident smile on ur face.sit like u own the place and look them all in the eye and wht answers u give to their qns wudnt make much difference

9:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Usman: "the doubts in his heart were too heavy fer the water...".Nice way to put it yar.
Aya: Good luck with your interviews and believe me having had the experience myself i think Rai has hit it right in the head when it was hot. he is absolutely right.

2:49 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I hope your first went well...my thoughts with u, Aya...hope the prep goes well fer the sec...

4:15 PM  
Blogger Aya said...

Usman: The moral of that story hit home....thank you.

que sera sera: Thank you! I scanned your blog...love the photographs you've put up... :)

Rai: I read your comment the night before my interview...helped tonnes...hehe...although I didn't really sit there like I owned the place(i was a little nervous..hehe)...I did smile confidently and I think they liked what I said...thanks!

Moiz: Thank you...I am definitely going to keep Rai's (and your) advice in mind for the subsequent ones as well.

5:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home