Saturday, December 02, 2006

The UK Interview (Part 1)

My interview at University of Kentucky (UK) went fine, alhamdulillah. I had emailed the program administrator a few days before the interview to find out about the faculty that would be interviewing me…..I have this morbid fear of mispronouncing people’s names…anyways…I got the expected “I don’t know yet…you’ll find out the morning of the interview” reply. D and I drove down to Lexington…a nice and straight three and a half hour drive. The program had arranged for accommodations and we got to the hotel in the afternoon. The dinner with the residents the night before the interview was nice…all the candidates (there were five of us) were there along with two chief residents (and their spouses) and an intern. There were three IMGs including me and two AMGs…..the other two IMGs were from India and Jordan. The residents were all easy to get along with…and so were the rest of the candidates…although the guy from Jordan didn’t say much at all through out the dinner. I found out later that the poor guy had traveled over ten hours to get to Lexington. One of the AMGs was desi….I’ll call him the “talker”….he talked a LOT. When he first introduced himself to me I asked him where he was from originally….and he said… “Indian/Pakistani….take your pick”. So, call me weird or whatever but I just don’t like it at all when people say things like….”oh brown hair brown eyes…Indian/Pakistani…same thing”…..that just doesn’t go down well with me. Anyways I just smiled back and asked him where his parents were from…turns out they were from Pakistan…so he was Pakistani! Heres where I stop with my ranting and continue.
The interview day started at 8:00 a.m the next morning with the morning report which was well presented and very interesting. After that the PD gave a presentation about the program…which was mostly a rehashing of what was there on their website…and was boring. The PD somehow seemed a little distant but he did manage to get across all the progressive changes that had come about in the program over the past few years. From a little background reading that I had done on the PD I knew he was big on medical education and has quite a few research projects going on about how to effectively teach and evaluate residents during training. I had asked the residents I met the night before about the didactics at the program and they were all praise for their attendings in this regard. The emphasis on teaching is one of the things at the top of my list…that along with the fact that whether the residents have “full ownership” of their patients or not….because that is how one learns. I’ve heard people ask the question “do you get time to read?” from interns and residents…In my opinion, while that is important…but practically speaking I am sure there isn’t much time that one can read during their internship year….and even if there is…you’re so dead tired…you’d rather catch up on sleep…..which is where the entire “learning from the patients” comes in and the most effective way to do that is when you have ownership of your patients. I did see that at this program. Another thing that impressed me was what they called continuity clinics where the same faculty supervises the residents for almost their entire residency….this is a good thing too because every attending would have a different way of doing things…and well..if you have a different attending every other week…you’d not really be learning a whole lot but rather ending up learning each attending’s pet peeves. I ramble again!Back to the interview day…I had two 30 minute interviews with two faculty members. The PD did not interview me…I guess that’s how it works at the Uni based programs or does it?....may be the PD just interviews people who he thinks are real strong candidates. My interviews with the faculty went well….one of them asked the standard questions…Why medicine? Why internal medicine? Where do you see yourself in 5-10 years? Her and I connected when I told her that I wanted to eventually go into academic medicine and teach….She was doing a master’s degree in curriculum development and I really enjoyed the rest of our talk from there because it was more conversational then…until she popped the “how have you or would you handle a situation where you don’t agree with what a senior is telling you to do or is doing?” I think I managed to what DP would call “BS my way” through it…heh. The next interview was with this doctor from the allergy/immunology department. I knew he couldn’t really be bothered with the interview when the first question he asked me was “do you have any questions for me”…I hate it when they do that….somehow I feel it shifts the focus from you to the program and at the end of it all you leave feeling like they didn’t really get to know you any better as a person than what your application told them about you. He then went on to relate the strengths of the program and how he loved it there….it wasn’t all that bad….he did tell me about this formal research program they have at the university which no one had talked about through out the day….that was interesting.. I think the somewhat impersonal tone of this interview was part of the reason why I was a little queasy and unsure about how I felt about the program at the end of the day…and so the elaborate blog entry….I am hoping writing it all out will somewhat clear the fog in my head…..have to be off right now…the rest of the days story(and more of what I liked and did not like) tomorrow inshaAllah.

9 Comments:

Blogger Uzer said...

I'm glad you wrote this. What would you recommend is the best way to go about researching PDs, etc. and their interests? I've gone through the web sites but is it worthwhile to pubmed search there names for example?

Another thing I'm worried about is the contrived questions such as why medicine? where in 10 years? etc. How do you answer these questions that makes you stand out from everyone else who'll probably be asked the same things and will probably reply very similarly? As in how long can you talk about how much you love internal medicine really? long term approach, holistic medicine, team based management, personalized medicine, etc. If somebody asks me what I see myself as 10 years from now I'd just say that I'd want to be practicing academic medicine and if I feel confident I may mention something of clinical research but otherwise I'm done in a minute heh!

Anyway, keep at it and the best to you Insha-Allah.

9:28 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Apparently ure doin real good with the interviews mashAllah...best of luck with the next ten million too!

9:34 PM  
Blogger Aya said...

uzer: For the two programs I have been to the websites were a wealth of infomation...as regards the PDs...I'd say it depends on how well structured the websites are....I got great insight into the PDs agenda for the program as well as what really was close to their hearts by reading through and making a note of the "program philosophy"....pubmed search is a good idea especially if you yourself are big on research(I have zero research experience..hehe)...I like googling their names too cos you come across stuff other than the research they have been involved in...for e.g...for the PD at UK I found out that he had co authored many of those pocket handbooks that interns use....anyways...I'd say go ahead with the pubmed search to get a "feel" for what the PDs research interests are and I would then bring up and talk about stuff that particularly strikes a chord with me ...one comes across as naturally more animated and enthusiastic that way....I wouldn't just mention stuff just for the heck of it...cos I think the PDs can see straight through that (if indeed there is a one on one with the PD)....
I hear ya on these dumb questions...but what can we do...there are definitely going to be people who will ask these questions...I think its worthwhile to brainstorm(and even practice saying out loud) answers to these questions so that when you say them out in the real thing you say them with conviction and you dont come across as being unsure.All that you said about why internal medicine holds true...(I am just left thinking that these people probably didnt read my personal statement to actually ask this question)....anyways..the answers like you said will pretty much be the same...I think what matters is the enthusiasm that you exude as you relate why you like the discipline...again...this is just my opinion and of course I am no expert at all this....what I do is sort of personalise it...tell them how as a student I was fascinated by the unique interplay that pathophys has with IM....the "cerebral" aspect of it all...how it is both intellectually and educationally rigorous and that I enjoy that aspect the most...then a little about how I enjoyed my IM rotations tremendously....and end it with the holistic care and building long term patient relationships...
The 10 year question makes me cringe...I feel like telling them that I dont even know what I am going to be doing the next day let alone ten yars!The academic medicine bit...thats something I really want to pursue....so I can talk about it at length...I had the PD at the first program I interviewed at actually talk to me at length about what my teaching style was like...I really enjoyed that conversation...I think if you profess a love for teaching and tell them how you've tutored your juniors through out med school you'd have plenty to go on from....the conversation flows...especially when your heart is really into something....I like asking them what if any formal programs they have to hone in on the residents' teaching skills....I think the clinical research interest in your case is a great point winner...do capitalise on that....but be prepared to answer other questions stemming from that....I think its best to be honest and forth coming and we'd hopefully not end up putting out feet in our mouths...hehe..
I actually asked one of the associate PDs I interviewed with about what he looked for in a candidate...the first thing on his list was that they should be able to communicate well,have enthusiasm for what they want to pursue and be easy to get along with such that they are a good fit for the program...thats not too bad eh?
Oh and they all want you to ask questions!!I formulated a list of questions that came to mind after having gone through their websites(so that I didnt ask questions abt stuff already there)...and I think its a good tactic to say "oh and I noticed this on your website...or FREIDA says this about your program...could you elaborate?"...goes to show you've done your homework...Alright...these are the few lessons learnt from my first two...I shall inshaAllah keep updating...I am sure your interviews will go really well inshaAllah...

usman: Thank you...so far so good, I think...its really hard to tell what they are actually thinking though ofcourse...

8:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so much normal ppl text! my brain froze but i made it.gud luck with the next ones.btw ur fellow intern seems v accomodating .i wonder if his diagnosis wud b like..cancer/aids..take ur pick

8:15 PM  
Blogger Uzer said...

Thanks a whole lot! That helps, Al-Hamdulillah. Could you give my interviews for me?

2:20 AM  
Blogger Aya said...

rai: My apologies...I just want to write out these interview experiences like this cos I think it will be of help when I sit down sometime in Feb and decide where I would want to be at...I am sure you must have been a little puzzled and even bored....hehe...be warned though..there will be more stuff like this in the days to come...
LOL @ the "talker" being accomodative...I'll write some more about him in part 2 to this post...you just remember to pray for me!

uzer: You're welcome...I am glad it helped...you'd do an awesome job giving your interviews yourself inshaAllah.

p.s: I forgot to mention...you probably know this already... but they will all want to know why you chose to apply to their program.I was also asked about where else I was interviewing and how many interviews I had in total...not sure if thats even legal...

11:41 AM  
Blogger mE said...

one thing i usually ask in interviews is why us ? why not someone else out there, it cannot be that we are the only one, not related to programs but i guess ppl who are taking interviews tend to get into few routine questions

And its totally legal for them to ask about other interviews your giving and all, they can even ask if given a choice between this and another place you gave interview which you would choose and why, its kinda a twisted form of "why us " again

and someone with twisted sense of humor might even try to persuade you to choose the other program, just to see what your response would be and how you would carry the discussion and prove that this one makes a more suitable choice

Good luck

2:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

u didnt hv to apologize for it or anything.its ur blog tell me to shutup!...civilised ppl!

5:07 PM  
Blogger Aya said...

me: These residency programs have screening criteria(credentials like scores,class ranking,visa requirements etc) according to which they select ppl they want to interview from the applicant pool...although I like the "why us" question, I am not sure if I'd go ahead and ask them that.
And yes...you're right...they can ask about what other places one has interviewed at...I haven't heard of any one being grilled at the spot over why they'd choose one program over the other....but I suppose its fair game for them to ask what you thought of another program...and bad mouthing another program in response to such a query is considered a death blow.Thanks for the insight.

rai: look at you...you're never happy!...on second thoughts...shut up rai!its my blog..I shall apologise or do whatever it is that I want to... :P

5:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home