Saturday, March 17, 2007

March Madness

The only sport I have ever followed is cricket. Sadly, my enthusiasm for it has waned ever since I moved to the US...blame the studying,our team not doing particularly well etc etc. I don't even know whats happening with the cricket World Cup other than the fact that our team sucks. Things may have been different had I been in Pakistan but oh well.Anyways, right now I probably have working knowledge of college football and that too by default, courtesy D. Quite unlike a (typical) Pakistani girl, she is a huge sports fan. What little I know of American football today is because of her...be it college football or pro...she'd be on top of what ever is happening. Its always fun watching games with her but honestly I'd rather watch Law and Order or House or Scrubs.So,I was actually quite relieved (much to D's dismay) when the football season ended last year.
I spent most of today morning doing grocery with my mother and when we got home in the afternoon, D was in her favourite spot in front of the tv.....right where we'd left her. Apparently its basketball season or watever now and its called March Madness. She stayed there watching game after game after game till a little while ago when I dragged her out! What was interesting was that she had this paper in her hand which she'd used to predict the outcomes of each game...yellow is where she'd been right and pink is where she'd been wrong. She and a few of her colleagues are all doing this and whoever makes the most right guesses wins twenty bucks. ESPN, supposedly is doing the same on a much bigger scale and they just found out too late about it and decided to play (?) between themselves. I find this quite interesting and amusing at the same time but I don't think I'd ever be so into it all ; D just thinks I am dead boring.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

D should have been a beer-drinkin', back-slappin', stadium-hollerin' MAN. "Tis not normal fer women to gamble...

11:43 PM  
Blogger Aya said...

usman : Goodness!she really doesn't fit that stereotype...and since when is it normal for men to gamble?She isn't taking the money btw. :)

10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home