Monday, December 11, 2006

The UK Interview (part 2)

The rest of the day at UK after the one on one interviews pretty much flew by. Lunch with the residents was followed by a tour of the university hospital and the VA hospital.I couldn't help but wonder how easy it would be to get lost there especially with my adirectionia.
The greatest compliment to the program perhaps was the fact that the residents I met with on the clinical floors while touring the hospitals(so these weren't the "hand picked" residents who we had initially met with) said that they would definitely choose UK again if given a second opportunity.
I was very impressed with the program on the whole...it did offer the essentials I'd look for in a program.However,I must admit I didn't really feel like I connected...I am still finding it hard to put a finger on why exactly I felt this way because everyone I met with was friendly and warm.May be it was the fact that I didn't see any foreign grads there(they do say they have about 14 of them) or may be I am more of a small program person....guess I'll just sleep on this some more.
I've been lazy with posting about my interviews which really isn't good because its all pretty much a haze now and that kinda defeats the whole purpose of this exercise..hehe..but anyways...I interviewed at the Southern Illinois University this past Friday...more on that tomorrow.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

so when do they tell you abt the results and all

5:10 PM  
Blogger Aya said...

rai: They don't tell you.How it works is that you are picked out of the program applicant pool according to whatever their criteria is and are invited for an interview...you go and interview at those programs.Once you are done with all your interviews you prepare a rank order list...where you list the programs you interviewed at in order of your preference.Similarly the programs "rank" the applicants they interviewed and submit their lists.All this is apparently fed into a computer and the "Match" takes place around mid-March...simplifying it...if you liked a program and ranked it high on your list and that program liked you and ranked you high on their list too(btw it is illegal for a program to ask you about where exactly you will rank them and vice versa...so the programs and the applicants play this game of seding letters saying "we'll be ranking you highly" close to the match...and well you really can't take all this for grnated)...you "match" with that program....did that make sense?

5:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah..whole lot of beaureucracy to look important.inside their offices they probably toss coins to decide

6:16 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Good to know the trail's going well...I hope u post more...

8:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home